Roth and Sanders two of six Illinois faculty elected AAAS Fellows
ITI researchers Dan Roth and William H. Sanders are two of six University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign faculty members have been elected 2014 Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The other recipients were Placid M. Ferreira (Mechanical Science and Engineering), Brendan A. Harley (Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering), Joseph W. Lyding (Electrical and Computer Engineering) and Phillip A. Newmark (Cell and Developmental Biology).
These are extraordinary faculty members who are making great contributions in their fields. They are innovators and educators who are committed to addressing the grand challenges of our society. They are prime examples of the scholarship, ingenuity and quality teaching that are Illinois hallmarks, said Ilesanmi Adesida, the vice chancellor for academic affairs and provost of the Urbana-Champaign campus.
Roth, a professor of computer science, was honored for distinguished contributions to the field of computer science and engineering, particularly for innovations in machine learning. His research focuses on machine learning methods for natural language understanding, or helping computers to understand language to better interact with humans.
Roth earned his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1995 and joined the faculty at Illinois in 1997. He is a fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, the Association for Computational Linguistics and the Association for Computing Machinery, and received an NSF CAREER award. He also is affiliated with the Beckman Institute at Illinois.
Sanders earned his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in 1988 and joined the Illinois faculty in 1994. Sanders is also a fellow of IEEE and the Association for Computing Machinery. He is affiliated with the Coordinated Science Laboratory at Illinois, where he served as director from 2007 until becoming the electrical and computer engineering department head in 2014.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science, the world's largest general scientific society, was founded in 1848. Fellows are chosen for their outstanding contributions to the field, a tradition since 1874.