The University of Illinois incorporates economic development as a cornerstone of its mission of teaching, research, and public service. Under the newly created Office of the Vice President of Research (OVPR), a system of resources has been developed to help both the campus community and corporate partners with the protection and transfer of intellectual property. The "Innovations" web portal provides an entryway to the University's commercialization services and to many opportunities for our community and external partners to engage with us.
ITI stands ready to assist its researchers and students with their efforts to plan and navigate the technology transfer process. ITI staff can arrange connections with key staff at the University's primary technology transfer units:
- Office of Technology Management (OTM): responsible for managing the intellectual property generated by research and educational activities at the University.
- IllinoisVENTURES: a seed and early-stage technology investment firm focused on startups based on research conducted at the University of Illinois.
- EnterpriseWorks Incubator: provides an ideal environment for starting a high-growth technology venture, with wet-chemistry labs, office space, an array of shared equipment, server co-location facilities, and conference rooms.
- Technology Entrepreneur Center (TEC): provides courses, venture and product competitions, workshops, and other curricular and extracurricular programs that expose students to the complex concepts inherent in the simultaneous processes of technology innovation and market adoption.
ITI will also assist researchers and students with referrals to University of Illinois and external professional resources that can help with:
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) proposal development
- Startup business plan development
- Legal, accounting, banking, patenting, and general business services
- The search for startup financing
If you have questions or would like to learn more about out how ITI can support your technology transfer efforts, write to iti-infoillinois [dot] edu.